Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Stoopid Inglish EssAye!


So, today my teacher is going to give me my essay back... I'm worried about what he'll have to say because I wasn't happy with what I gave him.

For the essay, I had to pick between and exerpt from Noam Chomsky's book, Failed States, and Boot's (I don't know his first name) article Are we the Mongols of the Information Age? and argue AGAINST it. Since I agreed with a lot of what Noam Chomsky said in his book, I figured it would be easier to argue with Boot...but, it wasn't.

The hardest part was finding the proof I needed to "discredit" what Boot said... I would find something and write it out, but I would later find MORE proof that he was actually RIGHT... It was REALLY, REALLY FRUSTRATING, especially since I couldn't just say in my essay, "You know, this Boot guy has a point!" *Sigh* HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ARGUE WITH SOMETHING I DON'T DISAGREE WITH?!!

My end result was an essay that I'm not AT ALL happy with... I know for a fact that if it were anything BUT politics I would have owned it, but fate was not so kind... Even now (as I skim through it) I see faults in my statements and it's frustrating.

I'm going to post it here, so I can get your opinions on it. It has to do with Military , so Dave's input would be especially appreciated... I'll let Adrian tear it appart, too, 'cause God knows he pays more attention t politics and worls issues than I do... GAH!

I JUST WANT TO STUDY SHAKESPEARE!!!!!

Jazzmin Wilson
English 101/JH 107
Essay #1
Jan. 3rd, 2007

In paragraph 2 of his article “Are we the Mongols of the information age?” Boot stated, “Over the last 500 years, the fate of nations has been increasingly tied to their success, or lack thereof, in harnessing revolutions in military affairs.” From there, Boot goes on to describe how the Mongols once had the strongest military until the “Gunpowder Revolution” and Europe became the strongest, until the second Industrial Revolution, etc. The fact that Boot believes a nation’s success depends on their military power and technology seems childish to me. It’s like he’s saying; “Only the biggest, toughest kid can rule the playground.” However, I believe that the fate of nations’ is not solely dependent on “harnessing revolutions in military affairs” because there have been victories and revolutions of many kinds and military technology rarely had anything to do with it.

In paragraph 3, Boot states that, “Until the 15th century, the mightiest military forces belonged to the Mongols. But strong as they were in the days of bows and arrows, the Mongols could not keep pace with the spread of gunpowder weapons and the centralized governments that used them.” Though the Mongols were a strong military force, the “Gunpowder Revolution” is not entirely what led to them being conquered. Genghis Khan’s death is a known to be a main cause in dividing the Mongolian tribes, and there were many other actions that lessened their power. Some of the Mongolians converted to Buddhism in the 17th century and other tribes became power hungry and fought amongst each other. Then in paragraph 13, when Boot speaks of “previous superpowers” (meaning countries, governments, etc.), Boot says that, “Their dominance lasted only until they missed a revolutionary turn in technology and tactics.” In the cases of the French Revolution and Russia’s February Revolution, government was overthrown by the people because they were unhappy with the way they were being treated. Therefore, it wasn’t a lack of technology and tactics that lead to the downfall of the Tsars of Russia (Nicholas II and Alexandra Fyodorovna). When Napoleon was in power in France, his army invaded Russia, and though Russia’s army was not as advanced, they had terrain advantage and, under the command of Mikhail Kutuzov, were able to gain the advantage and eventually defeat Napoleon and his army.

Throughout the article Boot gives examples and reasons as to why the “fate of nations” depends on updated military technology, but Boot contradicts himself in paragraph 10. He states, “…we spend more on the development and testing of new weapons than any other country spends on its entire defense. But all that spending produces weapons systems that aren’t much good for pacifying Baghdad or Kandahar. Technology isn’t irrelevant … But our enemies can stymie multi-billion dollar spy platforms by using couriers instead of satellite phones…” Boot has just admitted that enemies (or “terrorists”, because he was speaking of Osama) have been able to get past Americas oh-so advanced and expensive technology. He then goes on to talk about, in paragraph 11, how other forms of terrorist weapons can go by unnoticed. Boot explains, “Our scientific sophistication gives us a reasonable chance of shooting down a nuclear-tipped missile, but a nuclear suitcase smuggled into the U.S is harder to detect.” He, again, admits that these types of weapons are able to get passed ours. Once again, I believe that Boot’s idea of advanced weapons technology being the key to a country’s success is narrow-minded. Even in war, the armies with the bigger, badder weapons don’t always win. There are tactics to consider…not to mention, your communications (or, people you can ally yourself with) outside of the country. Boot even said in his article (paragraph 11), “To stop such stealthy threats, we need to get much better at human intelligence.” Although there are moments in time when weapons technology was crucial to a country’s survival, it has not and will not always be so. It all boils down to the intelligence of the people wielding those weapons. After all, what use is a gun if you don’t know how to use it?





Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Hmm...maybe that was what the instructor intended...you find out that you can disagree with some things a person says but still find points you think are valid.

I think your point about the bigger, badder weapons not always winning out is valid, but there's a fundamental reason why we're not always effective against low-tech terrorists. We do, in fact, have the power to "win" by going in and wiping them all out in a matter of seconds. However, we recognize that there are a myriad of factors to consider besides might, so most of the time we opt for restraint. If we had had this kind of power 250 years ago perhaps we wouldn't have been as concerned with how the rest of the world would react to a massive use of U.S. force. Some would say we're a bit too touchy and, while I can't argue with that, it's not fun living in a world where a lot of people hate you and you're not exactly sure where or when one of them will turn up and do something crazy-bad to hurt you. I guess I'd have to say I stand squarely between rolling over and taking whatever is lobbed at the U.S. and going over and nuking the hell out of the entire Middle East. And Somalia. Or France. Ha ha.

Brian lent me "Guns, Germs and Steel," a book that discusses why some countries have won out over others. Conquerors with more highly developed weapons were a huge factor, but the author goes into all the reasons that led to a given people having better weapons. Most people would be surprised at what it boils down to - I know I was (hint: think axes - the plural form of axis, not the tool). It's kind of a tough read, but interesting enough to be worth it.

Wed Jan 10, 11:58:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

Thanks for your insight Auntie... I will DEFINATELY have to consider what you said for next time... I'll see if I can find that book in the student library...

Wed Jan 10, 12:47:00 PM 2007  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

I thought your essay was good, and definitely better than what I could write. The only advice I have to offer is once you have researched all the points, pro and con, pick what you will use as your base argument and have everything contribute back to that one key point. State it at the beginning so everyone knows where you're going and at the end bring it all back home- then your point is made.

Wed Jan 10, 03:11:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

I wouldn't worry too much about your grade - I think your essay is well written.

Thu Jan 11, 03:42:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

You know, my teacher told me that it was good and only had a couple of point for me, so I guess it realy wasn't as bad as I thought!

I know my lack of knowledge in the "political issues" department is why I have (practically) NO confidence when it comes to writing about the stuff.

Fri Jan 12, 09:18:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Dave said...

amanda hit the nail on the head there. you need to tell the reader what the purpose of the paper is in the first couple sentences. i kept asking myself, "who is boot and why do we care about him?" you can't expect your audience to be on the same level as you. cater to the masses, yo.

Sat Jan 13, 01:16:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home