Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Saturday, September 08, 2007

I'm Really Back!

I finally got my DSL modem installed inspite of having to reconfigure my firewall and a bunch of other jazz so I'm back online just in time. I was on the verge of web withdrawals.
I always knew this was a small town (2000 census has just under 5K people), but I never considered it rural until now. I always figured that if cable was available and you could see your neighbors from your front porch you were in the city. Apparently not. I had to fill out a "rural delivery" form with the post office and our garbage man picks up in a dump truck not much bigger than a pick up truck that he backs up into your driveway.
The shiny newness of my house has worn off just a touch after living in it for a week and I'm starting to see little things like just how ugly the paint really is in Daniel's room and how small the kitchen really is, but I don't care. I love it here. Along with the evil racoon that got into my trash last week - my number one enemy at the moment, there is an abundance of trees, songbirds, wild turkeys and butterflies, and a flock of wild turkeys. Thankfully I have not seen any signs of skunks yet. I'm turning the rock garden in the back into a regular planter so I'll have a little garden next spring. Lucky for me Daniel and Lea Anna love digging rocks or it'd take me two years to clear them out. Daniel is still neutral on his new school but sang praises over the cafeteria and the recess.

9 Comments:

Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

What is a rural delivery form?

Sun Sep 09, 06:17:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

PS form 4232 - a postcard sized form that you fill your name, address, people who may receive mail at adress, and where to leave parcels if they do not fit in your box (provided that the alternative location is less than 1/2 mail away from your mail box). Hey - Y'all bring your guns and will have a free turkey dinner! I got a box of Stove Top in my cupboard.

Sun Sep 09, 03:39:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

If you find a skunk, you can catch it and make it your pet!

I hear they're better than cats...

GET A DOG!!!

Mon Sep 10, 10:45:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Jonna said...

I am so proud of you that you own your own house!

Mon Sep 10, 07:16:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

Skunk - the other white meat! On second thought, I'll pass. I haven't totally gone hill billy yet.

Jonna - as far as the house, you'll get there. It may take a little longer and you may have to work a little harder than the average Joe (hey it took me 40 years!)'cause of all that life has thrown at you, but every little thing you do like school, etc. brings you one step closer.

Tue Sep 11, 02:13:00 AM 2007  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

It's a major PITA. I thought I was going to have a heart attack after all the hoops I had to jump through today.

Wed Sep 12, 06:09:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Teresa said...

I think there's someone up there pulling strings going "Hey let's make them do all this crazy stuff and make it look like there's no way it'll all come together so that when it does they'll be extra-super-special grateful!" And of course, we are!

I think it's that combination of delirium and gratitude that carries us through the process of boxing and moving the entire contents of our lives in one weekend. During the last move, however, I ran short of that magical stuff and was forced to turn to Red Bull. Eeek.

Wed Sep 12, 08:13:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Rural? We can't get cable out here. One day on my way to work I almost ran over a duck, a deer, a dog and a turkey. They weren't all in one spot though. Most skunks out here are to squished to eat and my dogs only ran into one once(it took a long time before it the stink wore out, at least it wasn't up close).Don't worry about the color we can have a painting party and take care of that. Just keep in mind I only eat meat that is packaged.

Sat Sep 15, 04:18:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

Suzanne, I'm with you. Yeah, there is plenty of woods behind the house but we are still in civilization. I don't really think we are rural - just the post office does.

Sat Sep 15, 03:28:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home