Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Friday, November 30, 2007

The Great Volcano Experiment

Daniel made a volcano in the backyard out of dirt and rocks about a week ago and it finally stopped raining long enough for the muddy ground to dry out when I was off work during daylight hours. I found a recipe on the internet a while back to make his volcano "erupt", so with great anticipation the kids and I trudged down stairs with the ingredients and my loaded camera. I mixed the ingredients (baking soda, dish soap and food coloring) according to directions an empty film canister and stuck it in the volcano cone then had Daniel pour the vinegar in with my camera ready. We waited. "Mom - it's not doing anything." "Just wait Daniel, it takes a minute." Again we waited. "is that it?" Then it started frothing like a rabid dog, and then - THAT WAS IT! A weeks worth of anticipation for a teaspoon of orangy froth. Not the ooze of magnificent proportions that we had all envisioned. {Sigh} Back to the drawing board.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Hmmm...maybe you need to make a bigger recipe of volcano juice.

I always used just baking soda and vinegar for my volcanoes. Maybe if you put like a cup of baking soda and somehow rigged it so the vinegar would hit it in a small, steady stream you could make it "erupt" for a while. Food coloring is a great idea - wish we'd thought of that when we were kids!

p.s. - You're getting rain? Wow!

Sat Dec 01, 04:21:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

We are not getting rain any more, but it drizzled on and off last week and through the weekend just long enough to make the ground muddy.

Sat Dec 01, 08:59:00 AM 2007  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

Try baking soda and o.j.

Sat Dec 01, 08:34:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

Well...at least Daniel HAD a volcano...

I had nothing of the sort.

...Although, I did have the solar system made of styrofoam.

Tue Dec 04, 09:28:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Teresa said...

Dude. A solar system? That's like, really cool.

Tue Dec 04, 03:01:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

"I had nothing of the sort"

Oh dearest Jazzy, you never ASKED me to make you a volcano. If you had, surely I would have. I will be seeing you soon and you can build all the volcanoes you want. Maybe with Teresa's & Mandy's tips you can even get yours to erupt instead of froth.

Tue Dec 04, 07:02:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home