Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Gypsy Ghoulash

I was just thinking about Mom today, tomorrow being Mother's Day and all, and I happened to just sit down reading her cookbook,titled " The Alice B. Toklas Cookbook" and one of the recipes was Gypsy Ghoulash. I thought I'd share it with everyone, in honor of Mom.

Gypsy Ghoulash

1 1/2 lbs of beef in slices of 1/4 inch thickness, cut in lengths of 1/4 inch width, browned in lard with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon paprika and 1 tablespoon flour, 4 large onions sliced, 3/4 lb. potatoes sliced. When lightly browned add 2 cups red wine, 1 cup sour cream and enough bouillon to cover. Put in covered casserole in 375 degrees oven for one hour. Add 1/2 cup sour cream before serving. Serve with noodles. Serves 4.

4 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Me too. Even though we were far apart she was always there. Even if she wasn't always a "normal" (if there is such a thing) mom she was my mom and I miss her.

I hope you all have a good Mother's Day. Hug your kids for me.

Sat May 09, 06:13:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thank You Jonna. I've been both missing this recipe and Mom. Just don't cook the brownie recipe in that book - it can get you arrested! You know, for some reason it's always food that brings back the most memories of Mom. Her giant mounds of parmesan cheese on her spaghetti, love of avocados (and of her reminding me about her avocado tree I killed when ever I had the nerve to complain about the price of them in the store).

Sun May 10, 05:42:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I eat my spaghetti like her, not quite as much parmesan cheese but close. I was talking to my manager about goulash the other day.

Fri May 22, 09:27:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Lisa said...

I made it the other day and it was good. Gary and Daniel loved it too.

Mon May 25, 06:32:00 AM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home