Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Okay So There WAS a Tornado Last Night

I got back to Douglasville late because of my after-work detour to Target in Atlantic Station, and when I came over the Six Flags hill on I-20 it was really dark. It took a couple of minutes before I realized power seemed to be out everywhere (yeah, I know - "Duh"). As I got closer to home, however, street lights and traffic signals were working. I wouldn't care about losing power if it were just me but the thought of my poor, confused doggies penned up in the dark for who knows how long made me worry until I got in the house and saw no clocks flashing : )

I learned this morning that, depending on who you talk to, a tornado or a "mini super cell" (isn't that an oxymoron?) tore through the Chapel Hill Road area last night. Whatever it was was powerful enough to throw cars around and rip a huge AC unit off of the Kroger store. You can see pictures here. I suspect Gary still hasn't gotten over his tornadic encounter, because he made Lisa call me and make sure it hadn't hit here. No, but it hit your sister-in-law's friend's Kroger : O

My friend Angela lives in the subdivision across the road from that Kroger, as does Nicole's mom (some of you may remember Nicole from the New Year's Eve party). Nicole's mom and younger siblings were leaving the Kroger (probably getting bread and milk!) at the time the storm came through and, according to Angela, were blown back into the store and into the deli counter. Freaky.

When I drove by the Kroger today they had cranes there and a huge work crew, and the parking lot was cordoned off with police tape.

Damn I miss earthquakes.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Let's see, I've seen earthquakes, wild fires, riots and what-not but I'd take it them over a tornado anyday. Sorry Sis, You are just going to have to put up with me calling anytime the wind blows strong in your area. Same goes for everyone else. I'm glad your friends are still around to tell about it.
And don't that suck that the sirens reportedly went of AFTER the storm hit? It did the same thing in the 2004 Goodlettesville tornado too.

Hey, our Kroger doesn't have a Starbucks :(

Sat Mar 08, 04:35:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

P.S. - You need one of those bad weather radio thingies since you don't watch TV.

Sat Mar 08, 04:43:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Teresa said...

Yeah, it may have a Starbucks, but it's still a Kroger and I'll only shop there under duress.

I hate that they put an ad on every available surface. And that "Kroger Plus Card" racket...they cut you a supposed special deal, but every time you use it they're collecting data about you and everything you bought.

The local Publix store did a shopping comparison and showed that even with the Kroger Plus Card the Publix total was less.

You can call anytime...tornado or not. I appreciate it. And I do have a weather radio somewhere around here, but I confess that I pulled the plug on the thing soon after I got it. It's pretty much impossible to set it to a frequency that only wakes you up at 3:15 a.m. if there's dangerous weather and it's in your neck of the woods. Maybe I should be a bit more safety minded but I value a good night's sleep over knowing there is lightning 40 miles away from my house and it's moving in the opposite direction.

Sat Mar 08, 05:38:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Teresa said...

Hey, wait a second - riots? How did I miss that party?

Sat Mar 08, 05:40:00 PM 2008  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

Who is Nicole?

Sun Mar 09, 04:03:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Teresa said...

Nicole, Christopher's girlfriend, who was stuck to him the entire New Year's Eve party. Remember now? She went to Chapel Hill H.S. with Chris and David.

Sun Mar 09, 05:40:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

The 1992 riots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_riots

"Can't we all just get along?"

Mon Mar 10, 05:13:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Teresa said...

Ah, man...I left too early.

Mon Mar 10, 06:03:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home