Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Staccia Buratta

Lisa got me thinking the other day with her post about "Sana que sana colita de rana..." and Staccia Buratta.

For those who don't know these two rhymes (I guess that's what you'd call them), they're things we grew up with courtesy of two grandmas that were in our lives. I think the first one Mom picked up from Susanna Salazar, a Colombian woman who spoke no English whatsoever. Or if she did, she never let on. Anyway, it's a much more fun way of trying to make a child feel better about a boo-boo, as long as you don't try to use it once the child attains the age that he or she expects you to actually DO something to treat the hurt (MOM!). You say it while either rubbing the afflicted area or doing sort of a circular "hocus pocus" motion. I Googled this little rhyme and it's common in many Latin American countries.

Staccia Buratta, on the other hand, was a difficult one to track down. Lisa came up empty, as did I on many searches. I finally searched pages in Italian, and while I don't exactly speak or read the language I finally found numerous versions of "Staccia Buratta" after figuring out how to correctly spell some of the words I was searching for.

It seems that while "Staccia Buratta" is common throughout Italy, each area says it a little differently. Libby taught it to us, and when we were little she held our arms and rocked us on her lap as she sang. As she said the last word, "Mare," (rhymes with "hooray" and means the sea or ocean) she would let the child rock all the way back until upside down. Being upside down when you're a little kid is just some kind of special thrill, and as Lisa can attest, kids would make her do "Staccia Buratta" over and over and over.

I have pieced together lyrics based on my memory and the Italian versions I have found on the Web. If you can fill in the blanks (even if you're not sure how to spell it), leave a comment with what you remember. I can't find any pages in English with Staccia Buratta, maybe because this came straight from Italy with Libby and Nonna.

Staccia Buratta
Martin è della gatta
la gatta va mulino
per fare focaccino,
con l’olio, col sale,
Buttalo Do [?word?] [?word?]
Ve
Mare!

Translation (from what I understand):

Staccia Buratta (have no idea & no language translator I have is deciphering this)
Martin leaves the cat
The cat goes to the flour mill so that it can make bread
With oil, with salt
It throws it in the sea

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

You've gotten closer than I have. I thought it meant to cook the baby and throw him/her in the sea. Lea Anna and Daniel both love this. They always say "staccia me!". It's cute hearing Lea Anna and Daniel sing their mangled versions, but they both feel like they're pulling my arms out of their sockets - especially Daniel. He has big brown eyes and dimples though, so He gets away with it.

Thu Aug 18, 04:13:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Teresa said...

Gosh, I hope the kids didn't know what you thought it meant as you so cheerfully sung it to them!

Thu Aug 18, 03:19:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I remember asking Libby what it meant. I can't remember all of what she told me but it was something about a cat knocking over a pot.

Thu Aug 18, 04:45:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Teresa said...

One version (NOT the one Libby taught us) includes a line about putting the "pipi" (yes, that WOULD be pee) of the dog into the bread! EW!

Fri Aug 19, 06:52:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Y'all
Teresa, for some reason I couldn't get in with your link so I tried another way and ended up with my own blog which I really don't want but oh well it got me here so thats ok.
About Staccia Burraccia, here are the words that Libby taught me:

Staccia Burraccia
*Matina va la gata
La gata va mulino
Di fare fo gattino
Con l'olio con sale
Butta laggiu che va nei
Mare!!!!

*In the morning the cat goes to the mill to make kittens
with oil, with salt
little lakes that go into the sea

The kittens, the little lakes, are the pancakes and the sea is the cooking oil?Grease?
So no Lisa, we don't cook the baby.
Just the kittens ;)

Ok, heres the booboo healer.

Sana que sana
*Culito de rana
Si no sanaras hoy
Sanaras manana.
Ya esta sana!
*(rabito is more proper)

Fri Aug 19, 09:05:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for the translation. I've always wondered what it meant. As for the boo boo healer, Daniel got offended a couple of weeks ago and looked at me like I was stone cold crazy. When I translated for him he got deeply offended. I guess farts and poop are hilarious, but frog butts apparently are not. Just when you think you got the little guy figured out....

Sun Aug 21, 06:47:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Teresa said...

Maybe he thought you were saying his afflicted body part was a frog's butt...

Mon Aug 22, 05:18:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home