Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cranberry Waldorf Salad & Other Stuff

Does anyone have the recipe for Grandma's cranberry waldorf salad? I lost mine again, and all the recipes I looked at on the web have (barf) mayonnaise in it - and no OJ (double barf).

I'll miss you all this Thanksgiving. Gary and I are looking for a minivan. If we can find an decent affordable one anytime soon, we should be able to come down for Christmas or at least some time during the Christmas holiday. Jazz & Adrian will probably be here too, I just don't for sure yet.

I have done absolutely no Christmas shopping yet - unless you count window shopping. Hey, I still have plenty of time - so far. I have had several craft sessions with the kids and will have a nice shiny tree this year, even though I'll have to sand blast the glitter glue of my kitchen table. If it keeps them from destroying the rest of the house, it's a small price to pay in my book. We made salt dough ornaments last week, but I rolled the dough too thin so a lot of them cracked. I probably should just buy the decorations since the price will be about the same, but we're having fun.

I hear that the cafeteria at our work is going to have a gingerbread house contest this year. It will be a lot of fun. The only problem is I have grand designs to build an absolute masterpiece, yet have very limited skills in this area. Only one other person in my group has ever even made one. Well, I have until December to learn.

Daniel found some new friends to play with and I've barely seen him all afternoon except to run in the house and either use the bathroom or gulp a drink down then run back out again. I had to make come in and eat a sandwich, which he inhaled in about 60 seconds. I want his energy!

I've got to run before the smoke alarm goes off. I must repeat again my often broken New Years resolution - though shalt not surf the net while cooking!

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

yuk i dont think i liked cranberry waldorf salad. and i have traumatizing childhood memories of mommy using oj in all sorts of concoctions that it does not belong in. my favorite this thanksgiving is going to be sweet potato pie. yum. and if i can convince luby to send me rum balls then ill eat my way into a chocolatey stupor.

we tried to get our christmas shopping done before i left, but my darling wife decided that the utility of layaway extends beyond financial shortcomings. so instead of having all the presents on hand, she has about half while the rest lie somewhere in wal-mart and px limbo. i don't get it. if you have the money for something, why not just buy it outright? this is but one of the numerous questions i intend to ask of our great creator if "plan b" goes into effect. (plan a, of course, is to locate the fountain of youth and live forever.) i have come to the conclusion that it is simply in the nature of women to confuse men.

oh and daniel needs a slingshot. every boy needs some way to terrorize their neighborhood. and instead of rocks he can use safe and squishy toilet tissue balls. splat. as soon as i find some latex tubing i'm putting a box in the mail. hooah.

Mon Nov 13, 01:44:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

I still have not outgrown sling shots. If we had one, I'm not sure who'd terrorize the neighborhood more - me or Daniel. Naw, I guess it'd just be Daniel. I'd only terrorize the landlords. Bwahahaha!

You think you you had it rough with OJ concoctions? We had liver every freaking Thursday. And don't even get me started on brussel sprouts. Blech!

Mon Nov 13, 03:37:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

I don't know what the heck David's talking about. WHAT "concoctions" did I make with OJ that were not an appropriate use of the beverage?????

God, liver was the worst (no pun intended) but we had to eat some really horrible things besides that. Beef hearts. Cube steak (shoe leather). Turkey soup for days at a time. BBQd mixed vegetables with lima beans. Even reconstituted dry milk during one period - blech. Yeah, go on and whine about the abuse with the orange juice "concoctions", Dave!

Mon Nov 13, 04:50:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

But Sis, ya really missed out on Dad's lamb (or was it turkey?) & mint hamburgers.

Tue Nov 14, 06:07:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

Lamb & mint sorta go together. Still, I am not sure about how they would have turned out in Dad's hands.

I'm waiting for David to tell everyone how I traumatized him with orange juice. It can't possibly compare with our brewer's yeast or cod liver oil childhood experiences, but still - I'd like to hear how I inflicted pain on the boy...MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!

Tue Nov 14, 09:29:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

I guess I should cut all the crap and answer the original question. I will dig around again and see if I have the recipe, but I'm pretty sure Janet has it.

It does have, as I recall, ground cranberries and apples, some kind of Jell-O, miniature marshmallows, NO mayonnaise, and is topped by sour cream (which becomes kind of tart/sweet by soaking up some of the Jell-O mixture beneath it) and pecans or walnuts (I forget which). I don't remember the OJ, but I don't doubt it's in there. Some recipes I see online call for a whole ground up orange and that's definitely not right.

Janet???

Tue Nov 14, 09:41:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

Hopefully I'll make it out...

Oh, Mom, Mrs. Balderamos didn't get your fax, so you should probably fax it to her, like, 2 more times...

I HOPE YOU GET TO ENJOY CHOCOLATE BALLS THIS X-MAS, DAVID!!!

Tue Nov 14, 11:39:00 AM 2006  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

Mom would marinate chicken in O.J. and it would always come out on the dry side with a not-so-good orangey tartness. It was much better marinated in Italian dressing or buttermilk-yum. Gotta say though, usually her misses in the kitchen were a result of trying to make something with a can of tuna and a bag of beans-guess being poor can turn anyone into Chef MacGyver. Glad those days are over.

Tue Nov 14, 11:41:00 PM 2006  
Blogger AuntieJanet said...

I looked for the recipe last night, but didn't find it. I will look again this weekend. The ingredients are: strawberry Jello,ground cranberries and apples, 1/2 small can frozen OJ (to keep the apples from turning brown), sugar, minature marshmallows,pecans and sour cream on top. I'm sure you could throw it together without the actual measurements and it would come out fine.

Fri Nov 17, 02:34:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home