Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What YOU know about some HAM HOCKS???!!!???

Stopped by the Publix on Cascade Road in Atlanta last night. It's the only grocery store on my way home, but I shop there a lot mainly because I like it better than most of the others closer to my house. The selection is a lot better - probably because it's in a more affluent area than the stores near me - and I rarely leave there missing a critical ingredient for a recipe I'd planned to prepare. The population in the area surrounding the store is predominantly black, and I'm often the only white person in the store when I visit.

So I'm going to make this Lentil-Red Pepper soup recipe I found in one of my crock pot cookbooks, and it calls for a ham hock. I head back to the
meat department, grab a package of ham hocks, and get in the checkout line. The cashier finishes with the gentleman in front of me, greets me, looks down at the conveyor belt and my ham hocks, and exclaims, "What YOU know about some HAM HOCKS???!!!???" I cracked up laughing, as did the guy in front of me, at the obvious inference (white girl buying ham hocks). I said I didn't feel well and needed them for soup - THAT'S what I know about some ham hocks. I probably completely blew her mind when I told her I liked eating greens, too.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

They're not really for eating as much as they're for seasoning. They add a smoky/salty flavor. You take them out once your soup or whatever is finished cooking, though you can use whatever meat is on the bone if you like.

Ham hocks are pretty ugly looking, but there are several far more disgusting meat department finds if you ask me: liver, brains, tripe, chitlins (chitterlings), kidneys, beef hearts, tongue - blech!

Wed Dec 13, 12:25:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

AhHaHaHaHa! You tell her! Yes, Adrian hamhocks are nastly looking (I don't actually eat them either - too much trouble for just a bite of meat) but they sure make a pot of beans taste good.

Wed Dec 13, 04:15:00 PM 2006  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

you may know something about ham hocks, but do you know what a kitchen is? hint: it's not a room in your house.

Fri Dec 15, 06:24:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

Er...last I checked it was a room in my house.

Fri Dec 15, 09:01:00 PM 2006  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

Kitchen means the hair on the very back of your head right above your neck.

Mon Dec 18, 01:55:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home