Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday

I started out my Christmas shopping so organized, which is so unlike me. I had researched the black Friday sales online early and brought along a note book with my super organized shopping list with the ads taped in and had my route all planned. Well, at 4:45am and 15 minutes to go before opening ToysRUs had approximately 150 people waiting to get in or maybe more. So I drove to Target at the other side of the mall and the had about half the amount in line but it didn't open for another hour. So I went back to ToysRUs, still in a happy holiday mood and ready to just grin and bare it. There were no carts anywhere so there I was in line jugging an armful of toys, having to pee really bad. I put the toys back on the shelf, drove to Michaels, clean restroom - and no lines! So my total holiday shopping so far consists of 2 art sets (I hope Daniel and Lea Anna will let me play with the pastels), 1 gingerbread house kit, 1 foamies art kit, a big roll of sparkly ribbon, and stuff to make a door wreath. I didn't get the $20 razor scooter, the $3 Candy Land game or the $7 1GB flash drive but I still have my sanity. Oh, and after I had given up I got my commitment letter from the loan company the other day. Time to seriously start house shopping! A Happy Belated Thanksgiving to you all and an early Merry Christmas too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Yay! YAY! YAY!!!!!!!!! Can't believe you mentioned house shopping as an afterthought to Christmas shopping! One good thing about renting is that when it comes time to buy you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling your current place. Buying a house is a little bit of an ordeal, but sooooooo worth it. And shopping for a house is way fun. Here's a site that lets you check home values in areas you're interested in:

www.cyberhomes.com

I do think they tend to overvalue, but it's pretty cool and plots prices out on a map. Janet and I were playing around with it yesterday while we were supposed to be making Christmas gifts. I put in every house I ever lived in. Try it for the areas you're thinking about. It's partly based on recent sales prices, though I would definitely check those as well. Doesn't matter what someone says a house is worth if no one's paid near that amount.

Happy shopping!

Fri Nov 24, 07:06:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

You ain't kidding when you say they overvalue houses. Gary and I had fun playing with it but I couldn't remember half the adresses I lived in. Mom & Dad's house was valued at 600K, a bit high even in Southern California. (Mom, if you really could get that much, I say take the money and run!) My old rental house was valued at over 174K even though it was built in 1933, and the city valued it at 74,700. I am still having fun playing with it though.

Sat Nov 25, 05:42:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

The city or county's valuation for property taxes is going to be way, way below market value.

On the Cyber Homes site, if you pick a specific property it will allow you to make adjustments based on the condition of the house, improvements made, overall market conditions, etc. So it should then be a little more accurate. Still, I'd look to see if a comparable home nearby sold for around the amount I was considering paying before I'd pony up the dough.

Sat Nov 25, 06:56:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm still having fun playing with it. I found out why our old rental house is so over valued on the website. Just about the only sales in the area (pre April tornado) were a mile away. Our old rental was also 2 blocks form one trailer park, and four away from another. Not something that attracts buyers in the higher price range.

Sun Nov 26, 10:51:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

I've pretty much done my X-Mas shopping! (HAR! HAR!)

Job Corps bought me a new Flash Drive, too! ...It doesn't look like a Butt Plug, either!!!

It's name is now BLACKFACE!!!!!

Sun Nov 26, 05:01:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Caitlin talked me into going to the 5 am sale at Walmart. I decided she needed the experience of it and hoped it would break her of her liking to shop. It didn't, we went shopping at the mall after a short rest. She did have interesting experience, in trying to get to the movies on sale some old lady (as she put it) kept pushing her over until she finally gave up. They were out of the one thing I wanted but we did find a few good bargains.I already got most of my shopping done, they wanted big things and I had little money so there went my Christmas money in one day.

Tue Nov 28, 03:07:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home