Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Of Course You Know, This Means War!

I had a few pretty nice plants in the front yard when I moved in. Hostas, mini sunflowers, and my favorite - four o'clocks. I didn't gripe when the sunflowers went south since they were nearing the end of their life span anyway. Then I walked out one morning and my hostas were chewed down to little nubs. I was only slightly disgruntled since they'll come back next year anyway. Now the creature got my four o'clocks. I didn't think anything would kill them. They are chewed down to the branches with only a few scraggly bitten up leaves remaining. Then I saw it - the evil grass hopper. I tried beaning it with a rock but this nasty little creature hops way better than I throw and is now chewing on the last remaining leaf of my marigold - another flower I thought you couldn't kill. There is also a few (or maybe a few hundred for all I know) of his cousins hanging around the backyard waiting for the spring planting. They got their little grasshopper bibs tucked under their chins and a knife and fork in each of their hands - just waiting for me to plant dinner for them. I don't care what it takes, Malathion, Agent Orange, an A-Bomb or what ever - you're going down you stupid grasshopper! Do you hear me?! Your days are numbered!

4 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Okay, Lisa, I looked it up and you either have to get chickens or plant cilantro to deal with adult grasshoppers.

They also tell you how to nip them in the bud, er, larvae...

Bradfield Organics

Both of the plants I planted this summer are dead. I had a great recipe for rosemary chicken and kind of overdid the harvest. Oops. And the pretty little butterfly bush I planted was attacked by Japanese beetles. I guess I should be looking up how to get rid of those, huh?

I remember four o'clocks. Always liked them but have never seen them out here. I remember them dropping their seeds so you never had to replant them, so they should come back, right?

Wed Oct 17, 01:26:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

Bradford mentioned Neem oil for Japanese Beetles - I heard many other gardeners sing praises of it. The beetle traps don't work, it just draws the nasty suckers closer to your butterfly bush. Unless you do something rotten like hang the trap in your neighbors yard. Say, how well do you get along with your neighbors?

I will try the "Nosema locustae" and if that don't work, it will be an all out war.

Thu Oct 18, 05:14:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

You can always bury land mines in your garden!

>X-D

Tue Oct 23, 01:57:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Teresa said...

I have land mines in my yard.

Tue Oct 23, 02:16:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home