Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What The?

I am seriously starting to wonder about my net worth. As I was getting ready for work I realized that the six dollars I spent on my dog's brush was triple the price of my own personal little dollar store hairbrush. Why, I don't know. Besides being remarkably similar in construction Sheba does not have a job, cook or do laundry so why should she have a six dollar hair brush when I don't? Anyway, it brought to mind something else to mind that my old boss told me years ago as She was paying the $15 license fee that the City of Gardena charges them for the privilege of having me work in their jurisdiction for a year. "Do, you know that they charge me more for Puff's license than they do for yours?". Okay, so Gardena thinks a Bichon Frisé is worth more than me even though Puff never held a job in her brief little life. Now, on top of that I received a paycheck stub for the amount of zero dollars and zero cents. WTF???

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

The city shouldn't have charged ANY per-employee fee, nor should the federal government levy payroll taxes on our employers. It just discourages employers, especially smaller ones, from adding jobs, and it's that much less that's available to pay us.

A $15 fee isn't a lot, but check into payroll taxes - those are a lot. Lest you think "oh well, the boss is paying those" there is no such thing in the end because the tax is passed along to you in the form of lower wages.

So why did you receive a pay stub for $0.00?

Thu Sep 11, 03:38:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

I whole heartedly agree with the per employee fee. Gardena must have lost a hell of a lot of tax revenue after the card clubs closed down in the late 80s/early ninetys cause since then they started gouging people for every tax dollar that they hadn't found a way to suck out of them previously.

I forgot the exact details about the check but it ended up being a payroll adjustment that had something to do with my SSI contributions and some kind of convoluted law requiring them to send it to me even though it was worthless. They "paid" me for a few dollars and promptly deducted the exact amount worth of FFCI and SSI taxes thus resulting in me receiving a voided check and a check stub for $0.00 dollars. And majorly freaking out.

Thu Sep 11, 06:39:00 PM 2008  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

I am with you on spending more money on your pets than you do on yourself- my dog's shampoo costs $8, and the conditioner is usually the same. I buy the $3 stuff for myself... I guess it's all a trade-off though, I would rather not have to pee in the yard...

Thu Sep 11, 07:16:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home