Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

A friend told me I should call Dad today, wish him a happy Father's Day, and generally make a fuss over him on what should be a special day. I didn't know what to say.

I'm not angry or bitter or vengeful or any of those things over what happened to all of us growing up. It's an unfortunate reality that he used what he had to work with, probably what had been handed down to him. And I'm empathetic about that to a large degree. I also know that most of us have developed strengths we might not otherwise have had as a result of growing up under the conditions we did.

I wouldn't, however, feel good about putting on a face, acting like nothing had happened or that he was alright now, or feigning a relationship that isn't there. The way he is is the way he is. I have accepted that. He was not capable of being a dad to us in most ways, and it shows in the way we've all struggled with our lives since coming through the experience of growing up Rosche.

I'm pretty impressed by our collective resilience since leaving home. Yup - we've all made bad decisions, some with overwhelmingly negative consequences. A third of us are probably damaged beyond repair, but the rest are good, smart, warm, funny women who have, by some miracle, done a pretty decent job of raising our kids despite often not having much to work with (and these kids are something else!). We've learned from our mistakes and made better choices, including picking better brothers-in-law the second time around.

So, I still don't know how, or if, I should respond to my friend's encouragement to make a fuss over Dad. But it got me thinking about how a father can often be the person that makes or breaks a child. If you find yourself with a few minutes to reflect and respond it'd be great if you shared your thoughts with everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I think a quick call to wish him a Happy Fathers day wouldn't be a big deal. You don't have to be all smooshy gooshy. But I also see it like this - If it would hurt you to talk to him don't.
I have mixed feelings about him myself. I care for him a lot, and he has gone out of his way to help me in my even in my adult life a few times when he had no obligation to do so. I also understand that he did the best he could with what he was dealt. On the other hand, while I refuse to dwell on it, I still remember the pain he has caused us.

Sun Jun 18, 09:49:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Jonna said...

What do I say? I am me so I have a different perspective. I would give him a card or something non-confrontational.But if you don't feel like it-don't. My heart has healed, but even so I said to mom there is a reason that most of us feel a certain way towards him, and thats just the consequence of his actions.He was mean to us and so it is natural to not feel a certain connection. BTW I decided not to give Jennifer a birthday card a while back, but that was more for security reasons than me having ill-will for her.

Sun Jun 18, 09:30:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

I WANTED to wish Grandpa a happy fathers' day, but it took me awhile to get around to it 'cause he spent most of the day yelling at everybody...

Then Auntie Jonna made him a cake,so I though we were all gonna sit and have cake with him...but he complained about the cake too...

Oh, well.

Mon Jun 19, 10:16:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

Grandma said he was just too full to eat the cake at the time. And that he ate a piece for lunch today.

WTF happened? We never used to be allowed to eat cake for lunch??!!??

Mon Jun 19, 04:58:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home