Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Friday, August 04, 2006

A, go FOC yourself!!!

I FINALLY started my trade at Job Corps!

I've completed my first week at AFOC (Abram Freidman Occupational Cneter)... It's pretty cool. It's work-as-you-go, so I'm pretty much teaching MYSELF. I already know Adobe and Illustrator, so I'm attempting to teach myself QuarkXPress (a program for magazine layouts 'n' stuff). So, I've had a full week at AFOC... It's pretty cool. All I've really done, though, its play on photoshop and the internet. I did get SOME work done trying to learn QuarkXPress, but not a lot.

Also, I've been moved to a 2-man room at the Studio Club dorms. My roommate has been a girl name Inez for the past 3 weeks. She's really cool and we have a lot in common... She's even in the same trade as me (although, she's trying to get it changed, we both still like graphic arts), so she's in my same class at AFOC.

AFOC's food is kind of...odd. It seems like it all has barely any flavor. (At least if Job Corps had crappy food, I could eat cereal.....WHICH I CAN'T DO HERE!) Job Corps students are also not allowed to leave the AFOC campus unless its at lunch... We can't got to lunch early either. Since the lines get so long, so quick Job Corps students usually leavy 10min early, but if we're caught in line early we get written up... It's kind of gay, but we've all found ways around it... At least we Job Corps students have our OWN lunch line. It helps that we don't have to compete with the other AFOC students, especially since the lunch ladies are kind of slow. (SERIOUSLY! They don't understand english very well and it takes them an unnecessary amount of time to get you your DAMN slice of pizza!)

I hate that damn Quark program... The books they give you to learn are hard to understand...and when I ACTUALLY understand them, they end up being WRONG. I figure, if I mess around with it long enough, I'll learn it.... That's how I learned Adobe and all those other image programs. Who needs a stinkin' manual anyway...

Until then, I've mainly been putting pictures together, so I can compile my own magazine-thingy as a way to learn the damn program. I'll like it when I get good at it... The only thing that REALLY annoys me are the limited fonts. My laptop has niftier stuff on it, so I do a lot of the work when I get back to the dorms..... That's actually why I'm sitting here typing instead of doing my work...

----------------------

On a more exciting note, I get to see SKUMLOVE (an industrial band) perform at Whisky A Go Go again tonight. w00t! I'm so glad it's not at Zen Sushi or some other place that's just as retarded. (They performed at Zen Sushi LAST week, but because of utterly WRONG metro directions I ended up walking for almost 2 hours before I got there... Even then they ALMOST didn't perform becuase the management were being a**holes the singer, Skum, and his wife.)

I'm going to leave Job Corps as early as possible, so I can get to the Whisky early. (I also need time to do my hair, 'cause now that it's out of braids, it looks like sh** all the time...ack!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Jazzy, I talked to Amy the Queen of Graphic Production and she said a lot of places are still using Quark. So it's definitely worth learning. But we both agreed that there's a good chance their share of the market will continue to be lost to InDesign because they do absolutely nothing to make their program easy to get or use.

If you can somehow get your hands on a copy of InDesign it will probably be quick to pick up on. I taught myself how to get around in both programs (sort of) and have to say InDesign was a breeze relative to Quark.

So WHEN are we gonna see your stuff, miss Graphic Designer Girl?

Fri Aug 04, 08:12:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Catchy blog title Jazz. I'm glad you finally got in your trade, even with all the quirky programs you're dealing with. Yep, there is a down sown to free meals - they generally are tasteless food. Maybe you could smuggle in some hot sauce or adobo seasoning?

Sat Aug 05, 06:31:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

Next time I post I will put some of my pictures up...

Sun Aug 06, 01:09:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home