Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Saturday, September 03, 2005

my day off

this isn't the first time I have tried to post, but maybe this one will go through. My work is collecting food and clothes for the 280 victims of Hurricane Katrina who are at Kennestone Hospital. They have nothing. So I decided when I went shopping today I would pick up a few things to put in the box at work. On my way out the door I grabbed a fortune cookie from the big bucket I bought yesterday. My first fortune out of that bucket said "if you continually give, you will continually have." When I went shopping I bought several of the items on the donation list and was worried that I was spending more than I could afford, but I wanted to get some of everything. On the way home I turned off Thornton Rd by Turners BBQ (is that Six Flags Drive?) and as I was coming over a small hill by a wooled area I remembered that that was where I thought I saw a fox disappear into the woods more than a year ago. I always slow down when I come to that spot to see if I can see any wildlife. Well guess what? Three raccoons were running across the road right in front of me. That is the first time I have ever seen a raccoon in the daylight, let alone more than one. I didn't even know they could run because I have only seen them ambling across the road on their tippy-toes! They were beautiful.

When I got home I looked up racoon in my Native American medicine card book. The Indians believe that every living creature has some special message for us, so I wanted to see what I could learn from the raccoon. The Raccoon is the generous protector, he teaches us about generousity and caring for others. When a troup of raccoons are scouting for food they always leave a lookout behind and when they find food they honor his vigilance by bringing him the best tidbits before they eat. This uncommon lack of greed is rare in the animal world. Raccoon teaches the universal law of giving back to the source of your strength, guidance and protection. we are also reminded that benevolence and generosity come around full circle to reward the giver. Raccoon is telling me the same thing that my fortune cookie says!

8 Comments:

Blogger Scarecrobot said...

That's so cool! *sigh* I miss wild life...all Los Angeles has are pigeons and squirrels.......

Sat Sep 03, 09:55:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Teresa said...

I have never seen a live raccoon here. What a sight they must have been. When it comes to fortune cookies I'm a skeptic. What can I say - I've been burned. But a raccoon messenger I would trust : )

BTW, I have seen a fox only once. It was getting on toward sunset, that time when the light is golden. The fox ran across the street in front of my car and it was ablaze in that gold light. (Don't worry y'all - I didn't hit it. I just stopped and watched in amazement.)

Jazzy, squirrels are cute and we never even had any of those around when I was growing up. But I don't like pigeons and their beady eyes and pink feet. Ew.

Sun Sep 04, 05:47:00 PM 2005  
Blogger AuntieJanet said...

Fortune cookies are cool. If I don't like the fortune I throw it in the trash, If I like it I keep it and am on the lookoout for something to happen. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but I see no harm in expecting good things. And, THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES!

Mon Sep 05, 01:10:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Dave said...

maybe i've been in the army too long, but we don't much like racoons around here. they don't speak our language, they don't look like us, and they can give us diseases. that pretty much makes them (and most other wildlife) the enemy. we destroy the enemy without second thought. hooah!

Thu Sep 08, 06:31:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Lisa said...

Uh oh, David's taking pot shots at the wild life. There goes the neighborhood! Do we really want to give this guy a gun?

Thu Sep 08, 07:20:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Teresa said...

Gawd - despite my best intentions I raised a Southern Boy after all. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Fri Sep 09, 09:36:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Lisa said...

BTW Aunt Janet, I thought your original post was beautiful. It has given me much to think about this past week.

Sat Sep 10, 06:11:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Suzanne said...

A racoon crawled in our garage and died a few years ago. Charles was supposed to dispose of it but it showed up a few weeks later, Jordan was chomping on it.
I wonder what that means?

Fri Sep 16, 11:54:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home