Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Trespassing

I was on my way to Taste of Atlanta with Brian (more on Brian later - he merits his own post!) on Sunday afternoon when, lo and behold, we drove by an awesome example of Craftsman architecture (see accompanying photo). Unfortunately it was in really, really derelict condition. This photo is 10 or 15 years old so it doesn't show what bad shape the house is really in.

We turned the car around and went to check it out. The front porch was something like 15 feet deep (yes, deep - from where you walk up the steps it was that far to the front door) and wrapped around one side of the house. We wandered around back and there was no door, so we went inside. The ceilings were very high - maybe 12 feet. It had that huge crown molding everywhere, two or three fireplaces, subway tile, hardwood floors...it was so sad that it was falling down. Based on what I have seen on This Old House it could be saved, but it would take a whole lotta money.

I am not fantasizing about buying this house (okay, I did for just a little bit). I do want to go back and take pictures. Who knows...one day I may get to recreate it. I dug around on the web and looked at tax records and other stuff and its ownership is hard to decipher, but it looks like the lot it is on (it is rather large) is going to be subdivided into six lots and, I am guessing, this once-beautiful old house will be demolished. I wish y'all could see it, and if I do get to go back and take pictures I will post them here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Scarecrobot said...

AWE... That'd be such an awesome little house to haunt...I mean live in!

Wed Oct 18, 01:41:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

It does look like it could be haunted. But I am pretty sensitive to creepy vibes and I got none of that feeling from the house. I just thought about how cool it would be for all of us to hang out on the front porch in the summer.

Wed Oct 18, 01:45:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

Maybe. IF I could be persuaded to sell it (probably wouldn't happen). And IF I didn't lose my shirt fixing it up (another unlikely scenario!).

It was so old (1920's maybe?) that there was a coal chute on the outside of the house so you could shovel coal in to fuel the furnace in the basement.

Wed Oct 18, 03:16:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

OMG. I just Googled the address and found out the house is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Wed Oct 18, 03:24:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

GooD! That means it can't be torn down, right?

Thu Oct 19, 11:54:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

No, unfortunately. Might mean a few people would care if it did get torn down...but it won't prevent it if the people who want to tear it down are more on the ball than those who would like to save it.

Thu Oct 19, 01:22:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Scarecrobot said...

AWE! THAT SUCKS!

I could have hosted pagan rituals there!!!

Fri Oct 20, 07:36:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home