Divine Secrets of the Blog-Blog Sisterhood

the not-very-official blog of the sisters formerly known as rosche

Sunday, February 12, 2006

More Exciting Stuff from TN

We have been under a Winter Storm Advisory since 6pm Friday. Just like our Atlanta neighbors, Nashvillians just do not deal well with even the slightest threat of snow. Every Schmuck decided to leave downtown Friday at the same time I did , turning a meager 16 mile commute into a nearly 2 hour ride home in an attempt to beat the impending storm, then they all proceeded to the nearest Kroger to wipe out the supply of bread, milk and toilet paper. I didn’t escape the parking lot madness either. Lea Anna was out of chocolate milk - which qualifies as a genuine crisis in our house, and even out small little neighborhood grocery store was a madhouse. Oh, and it did snow a little bit. It has been snowing off and on all weekend, but very lightly with almost no accumulation . Even I, the hard core snow hater can deal with it so I don’t see what all the fuss was about. I guess since no one in the state’s payroll was arrested in the past few days they had to put something on the news.
I’m making Salisbury steak for dinner. The good kind from scratch, not the prefab version from Banquet that tastes like something they scraped off the road. Too bad the booze store is closed on Sundays. It would taste really good with a splash of red wine in it. I have always thought the South has strange liquor laws. Attention Tennessee legislature - Jesus drunk WINE at the last supper, not Busch beer!
Lea Anna is becoming more articulate every day. This is typical of the many conversations I have been having with her this weekend:

Lea Anna - "Mommy, help me. My heart sticker is in the fish tank"
Me - "Why did you put your sticker in the fish tank?"
Lea Anna - "I didn't, it just fell out of my hand into the fish tank"
Me - "So you climb up on table, opened the lid, opened your hand, and the sticker just fell out of your hand into the fish tank?"
Lea Anna - "Yes"
Me - "Why were you playing in the fish tank?"
Lea Anna - "I love you Mommy!"

8 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Re: the heart sticker in the fish tank - PRICELESS. I'm LMAO.

Re: snow - we got a few flurries this a.m. and that was it. Dammit. I want enough so that I can stay home from work tomorrow!

Re: southern liquor laws - AS IF these antiquated inconveniences actually prevented people from drinking, which is what the zealots want. I think the politicians won't touch this law because it's a token way to at least partially appease (and therefore not lose the vote of) the religious right. Not only can you not buy any form of alcohol or even non-alcoholic beer on a Sunday, but even on other days you have to go to the liquor store to get anything besides beer or wine. Hello? I'm having a barbeque, buying brats and chicken and beans and making margaritas - why do I then have to go to a FREAKIN' whole other store that sells ONLY liquor and that's the ONLY thing I can get there so it isn't like I can just say, oh, well, I guess I'll just have to go do my shopping over here where they sell Tequila. NO - we have to go to TWO stores. Maybe it's all really a conspiracy of liquor distributors to stress us out so we'll actually wind up consuming MORE of their products.

Sun Feb 12, 06:56:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Most of the middle TN counties had a snow day today. I drove to work at 6 am this morning and the roads were NOT iced up. Maybe a few areas in the hills, may have been but beleive me they were few and far between. You don't think Shnookie Pie complained though, do you?

I do realize that I am living in the bible belt, and that they are trying to appease certain folks on both sides of the fence but it is still ridiculous. If its good/bad to drink on Sunday, then it's good/bad to drink on any other days of the week whether it's beer or genuine rot gut liquor.

Cininnati sold beer & wine on sundays, but actual liquor you had to buy from a state owned liquor store M - F. This lead to a few raised eyebrows when I told my boss that I was going to run to the liquor store at lunch. No frozen burritos sold there!

Mon Feb 13, 04:49:00 PM 2006  
Blogger YoSoyAsquel said...

It's pretty cool for bars that you can't buy liquor here on Sundays, since that's the only way a bartender will have a chance of making money on that day. The god-squad isn't konwn for their excessive tipping.

Tue Feb 14, 11:19:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

BTW, I thought your conversation with Lea Anna was so hilarious I e-mailed it around the office. Little missy got a lot of laughs!

Thu Feb 16, 07:21:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

I'm sure bartenders in other states where you can buy liquor on Sundays make plenty of money.

I want to be able to buy a bottle of wine to go with my fish or brats or whatever WHENever, and I want to be able to buy tequila for my margaritas and tacos WHEREver.

Thu Feb 16, 07:24:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

I found out that the liqour store is in fact open on Sundays here, but at 1:00 - after church gets out. After living here for two years where I can see the top of the liquor store sign through the trees in my front yard, I just recently found this out. I guess I just don't drink enough to know these things.

Sat Feb 18, 04:11:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

That settles it - I'm moving to TN.

Sat Feb 18, 04:26:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Teresa said...

Well since Amanda is the only bartender any of us give a flip about as far as I know I say damn the bartenders - sell booze on Sunday! And at the freakin' grocery store!!!!!

Sat Feb 25, 09:27:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home